- 2 egg whites, room temperature — this is an excellent way to use up extra egg whites!
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup regular or superfine sugar (I use a bit less — 1/2 cup — they’re plenty sweet)
- 6 ounces chocolate chips, chopped (food processors do this nicely)
- 1/4 chopped pecans or walnuts
Preheat oven to 300°F.
Beat egg whites until foamy. Add salt, cream of tartar and vanilla, and beat mixture again until it holds soft peaks. Add the sugar, gradually, beating the batter until it is stiff. Fold in the nuts and chocolate chips.
Spoon batter onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake for 25 minutes (according to SK recipe) or until the undersides of cookies should be golden or lightly tanned – this usually takes longer for me, closer to 35 or 40 minutes.
I can’t believe I forgot to take a picture of the finished product! I was rushing to get to an LLL meeting and didn’t do it when I got back. Go visit Smitten Kitchen for a look at the meringues fully cooked.