Fort Collins, CO
It seems like it has been forever since I actually managed to get one of these out and my bookmarks folder is exploding with links, so I figured I would make time for a little Saturday Surfing post. Also, I’m ahead on website work and the girls were at their first ever night-time babysitting co-op this evening which allowed Chris and me four hours of alone time (the first since Valentine’s Day), so I actually have time to surf around!
Finds of the last whenever:
- How A Web Design Goes Straight To Hell, The Oatmeal — An oldie but a goodie
- How School Lunch Became the Latest Political Battleground, NY Times Magazine — A fascinating read, especially since this is what Chris does. I think the article failed to address one big challenge to serving healthy lunches: the parents. One of the thing I have been most surprised about since Chris started his job (although I now realize I probably shouldn’t have been surprised at all) is the number of parents who actually want their children to eat crapy food at school. In contrast, take a look at French school menus.
- The Never Agains, Brain Child — An essay from a mother after she and her husband decided to stop at two children.
- Russian Mother Takes Magical Pictures Of Her Two Kids With Animals On Her Farm, Bored Panda — these photographs!
- What Giving Birth Looks Like Around the World, Slate — “Since women of previous generations often delivered in their homes, birth was typically a shared experience. Today, women usually learn few details about the birth process from their mothers and grandmothers and instead only begin to understand the process once their friends begin having babies.” I am proud to say that my girls will not have this experience relative to birth.
- Where We Came From and Where We Went, State by State, NY Times — As someone who has lived in seven states, I find this fascinating
In honor of Halloween coming up and on the topic of kid’s food, I found this amusing: