Finds of the week:
- Conservative rhetoric masquerading as breastfeeding advocacy, Breastfeeding Medicine — ” “firing the government wet nurse” is not the way to get there. Cutting nutrition funding for the 22% of American children who live in poverty will instead send more women and children to bed hungry, while depriving at-risk mothers of critically important breastfeeding education and peer support.”
- Facebook’s New Timeline and Redesign Changes: A Story in Pictures, Back to San Diego — a hilarious round up of Facebook comics.
- Fun, Fun, Fun When the Guy Goes Away by Hal Sirowitz, The Writer’s Almanac — Cute, short, about picking up guys in a bar.
- Yet Again, Organic Ag Proves Just as Productive as Chemical Ag, Mother Jones — Great article about organic crop yields as studied by the University of Iowa.
Recently on Papoose:
- Co-Sleeping, Is it Safe? — My response to Milwaukee’s newest anti-bed-sharing campaign, with links to research on the topic.
- Delayed Cord Clamping Reduces Iron Deficiency Later — Summary of a study published in this month’s British Medical Journal
- New Study: Home Birth Safe for Low Risk Pregnancies — Summary of a huge study published on the 24th in the British Medical Journal. This quote from the lead author says it all: “Birth isn’t an abnormal process, it’s a physiological process. And if your pregnancy and labor is not complicated, then you don’t need a high level of specific expertise.”
- Rep. Roybal-Allard Applauds Consensus Agreement Of Home Birth Summit — See a video of the Congresswoman speaking about the consensus agreement.
- Why Take a Breastfeeding Class — Answers to frequently asked questions and why all expectant parents should take a breastfeeding class.
I am now posting Monday-Friday on Papoose’s website about things related to pregnancy, birth, parenting, breastfeeding, health & nutrition, and green living. “Like” Papoose on Facebook to stay up-to-date on new posts as they’re published! For more information about Papoose, please go here.
And yes, I still can’t get over the pizza as a vegetable thing.
Etsy Love: Black Friday Deals
1. Wood Smart Phone Toy 2. Audrey Style Off White Womans Dress 3. Hand Stamped Pick 4. Hand-Knit Hobbes 5. Funny Christmas Card – Ugly Sweater 6. Printed Pillowcases: Sleep Tight Don’t Let the Bedbugs Bite 7. Large Round Clock 8. Organic Denim Wrap Skirt 9. Flower and Butterfly Paper Mobile
See more of my Etsy favorites here.