- The Beauty Of Boredom, The Mother Huddle — Why our kids should be bored every now and then.
- Child Slaves Made Your Halloween Candy. Stop Buying It., Good — I think the title says it all. You can buy fair trade chocolate and other better treats at www.naturalcandystore.com
- Foodies, Get Thee to Occupy Wall Street, Mother Jones
- ‘No magic bullet’ can protect cocoa from climate change, Food Navigator — Oh, no!!! Researchers in Colombia predict that the 1 degree rise in world temperatures expected by 2030 will hit small cocoa farmers in West Africa. particularly hard. Farmers in Ghana and Cote d-Ivoire produce half the world’s cocoa. The 2 degree rise expected by 2050 will make it impossible for them to grow the plants at current elevations.
- Notes From a Dragon Mom, New York Times — A beautiful and heartbreaking piece by a mother whose son has Tay-Sachs disease
Are you liking the videos? I think I might start embedding a video into every Saturday Surfing post. This one is Ira Glass talking about the work that goes into writing and the initial phase we have to fight our way through of writing lots of what we can tell is crap before we can get to the good stuff.
1. Fall Mailbox Swag 2. Acorn and Oak Leaf Bracelet 3. Edible Sugar Fall Leaves 4. Fall Leaves Wire Sculpture 5. Pumpkin Soap 6. Art Gourd Bowl 7. Fallen Leaves Watercolor 8. 18″ Doll Leaf Jumper 9. Fall Table Runner
See more of my Etsy favorites here.